About Denese Macdonald
Hello, my name is Denese MacDonald and I am a fully qualified couples counsellor with over 20 years of experience in my profession. I hold a master’s degree in Counselling and a specialised post-graduate qualification as a Relationship Therapist. I am also a BACP registered member and a Certified Practitioner of ‘Imago Couples Therapy’
‘Imago Therapy’ is a process designed to assist couples in overcoming a distanced hurting relationship and recover and strengthen their bond. The theory behind Imago Therapy is that the healing of childhood wounds is a compelling agenda in adult committed relationships. Imago seeks to help couples understand their childhood agenda and learn to co-operate with these forces rather than get locked into a painful power struggle and impasse.
Although I am qualified in this model of relationship therapy. I may also draw upon a number of different therapeutic models and select the approach that is helpful to each couple’s particular situation/goals and personalities.
Together, we will work to identify any negative, interactional patterns that are keeping you both trapped in negativity. We will then work on creating new, more helpful behaviours to create a deeper connection and growth.
Every individual and couple are unique. Therefore, I will tailor the sessions for your specific needs.
If you are unsure of the path forward for your relationship, I will help you find clarity so you can move forward more positively.
- Master of Science in Counseling (M.S. Counselling)
- Certified Imago Relationship Therapist (CIRT)
- Certified Life Coach (CLC)
Prior to qualifying as a Couples Therapist, I had many years’ experience working in local authority services for children and families. I have also worked as a couple’s therapist in both private and charitable organisations. This includes charities supporting human rights, family violence work and mental health.
I have lived and worked abroad in three different countries. This has allowed me exposure to diversity and an enhanced understanding of differences on a familial, cultural and societal level. This has inspired me in one of my most important personal values which is inclusivity.
How I can help you
- I will assist you to communicate frustrations/hurts in a calm collaborative way. Identifying what you need and want rather than seeking to determine levels of who is right or wrong.
- You will learn how to listen more effectively and gain a deeper understanding of each other’s perspective.
- I will help you to develop conflict management techniques and a safe, structured approach to help you deal with anger and conflict.
- My therapy sessions will be a safe space where you will both feel heard and respected and able to express vulnerability.
- My communication style is warm, friendly and down to earth. I will be fully invested in helping you move forward in whatever way you choose.
Sit amet facilisis magna etiam tempor orci eu lobortis. Turpis tincidunt id aliquet risus feugiat in elit eget gravida cum ante metus dictum.
|2002-2005||Cardio-respiratory||Institute Of Coast Private Hospital|
|2002-2005||Cystic Fibrosis||Canada Of Coast Private Hospital|
|2010-2017||Livers & Oncology||USA Institute for Rehabilitation|
|2018-2022||Osteogenesis imperfecta||Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation|
Types of therapy offered
Our Highly Experienced Relationship Therapists
Book Instantly Online Now
Use our easy & fast online booking tool to book an appointment with one of our highly trained therapists.